Introducing NPC's New Podcast!
The National Plasterers Council (NPC) has rolled out a new offering for the pool industry with “Smooth Finish”, a new podcast series.
“The NPC’s mission is to be the utmost authority in the preparation, application, materials, start-ups and preservation of cementitious pool interior finishes,” said Brent Lane, Artistry in Mosaics and Chair of the Marketing Committee. “We look to utilize this new platform to discuss all topics related to this mission and other matters relative to our members and the community by hosting and collaborating with other associations in the swimming pool business, industry experts, NPC members, and vendors specific to the topic at hand. We’re hoping to be entertaining but striving to be enlightening.”
Watch this page for new episodes as they become available!
- Episode #17 - Why Sequestering agent?
- The team talks about what the NPC considers a quintessential part of the startup process with the use of a sequestering agent. Listen in as we explore the chemistry, function and benefit of this practice. Further learn when and why to use these products as a part of your normal maintenance regiment.
- Episode #16 - Interior Finish Tolerances
- Smooth finish covers the often-escalated "hot" topics of "Smoothness, Levelness, Thickness and Mottling" in an attempt to marry the misunderstood expectations from the consumer level and the industry standards prescribed and adopted due to materials and application limitations.Shaun Goldberg has been in the pool plastering industry for over 35 years. He’s been a mixer man, finisher, crew foreman, and operations manager. Since starting in 1985, Shaun has finished or overseen over 50,000 residential and commercial pool projects. Shaun has served on the Research, Technical, and Educational Committees for the National Plasterers Council as well as being a current Board member and vice chair.
- Episode #15 - Is my Pool Supposed to be "Waterproof" or "Watertight"
- Listen in as Smooth Finish highlights the technical bulletin #7 "Is my Pool Supposed to be "Waterproof" or "Watertight". These are two entirely different standards within the building industry. What is required and what is important to understand for each standard. Let us know how we are doing and share other topics you would like to explore.
- Episode #14 - The Most Common Reasons for Loss of Color
- The Smooth Finish cast talk with industry and NPC veteran Andrea Campbell, National Sales Manager for Mesa Industries, about the newly released Technical Bulletin #4, "The Most Common Reasons for Loss of Color". Listen in to hear the cause and affects associate with Swimming Pool Plaster color loss and the well published preventative solutions the NPC provides to the industry and consumers alike to avoid these common issues. Visit npconline.org to get your copy of Technical bulletin #4 and all of the other helpful resources mention in the show.
- Episode #13 - What's Happening at the 33rd Annual Conference?
- Hosts Brent Lane, Chris Marcano and Rob Romano talk with NPC Chair Yvette Gammon of Gammon Pools, Inc. about the first in-person Annual Conference since 2020. Listen as they discuss highlights of the program at the 33rd Annual Conference, February 9-11, 2022, in Atlanta, Georgia. Get insights into the all-new Thursday classes with one-track for the whole day - The Remodel Primer. The Friday education program will offer the traditional format of three tracks of excellent learning opportunities. Hear more about what you can expect at this year's Conference - from the networking events, exhibit hall, the auction with Jay Eaton, and more. Everyone talks about their experiences at past conferences and why you should attend the Annual Conference in Atlanta this year!
- Episode #12 - Winterization a New Take - NPC and NESPA
- Smooth finish speaks with Chas Bogardus and Dom Mondi of NESPA to discuss the various practices of winterization of swimming pools, share experience with some traditional methods, drill down on the winter effects task force and hear a new theory practiced for winter pool maintenance and early results.
Smooth Finish Participants- Brent Lane, Chris Marcano and Rob Roman
- Episode #11 - NPC and NESPA discuss how they work together
- NPC's Smooth Finish and NESPA's New Depths collaborate for a joint podcast to discuss how the two Organizations have worked together throughout the last several years, their joint taskforce concerning winter effects and each share about their upcoming tradeshows in early 2021.
Participants from Smooth Finish- Brent Lane, Chris Marcano, Rob Romano
Participants from New Depths- Dom Mondi and Chas Bogardus
- Episode #10 - What's Happening with Swimming Pool Supply and Demand?
- Why are swimming pools in such demand and why are lead times so long – in some cases two years? The Smooth Finish hosts speak with Mark Warsaw, CEO of Bel Aqua Pool Supply Inc., an independent distributor serving the Northeastern U.S. for some answers. From the catalyst of the COVID pandemic to skilled labor shortages to materials supply, Mark shares his perspective on purchasing, inventory customer service impacts and what the market may have in store for the future.
- Episode #9 - Special Edition - Pool Owner Start Up
- Special Edition Podcast for Pool Owners: The NPC has launched an awareness campaign to help build the public’s knowledge about the proper initial start-up of cementitious interior pool and spa finishes and the importance of proper maintenance thereafter in relation to the aesthetic, functionality and lifespan of their plaster pool surface.
- Episode #8 - Start up and Maintenance of new plastered swimming pool
- The NPC has launched an awareness campaign to help build the public’s knowledge about the proper initial start-up of cementitious interior pool and spa finishes and the importance of proper maintenance thereafter in relation to the aesthetic, functionality and lifespan of their plaster pool surface. Also, NPC is currently in production on our online education version of the start-up class as a foundation for several pool industry certification and apprenticeship programs and required curriculum.
- Episode #7 - NPC Technical Manual Education Series Episode 2 - Pool Plaster Surface Preparation
- The ultimate goal of pool surface preparation is a uniform, clean, porous surface profile. Donnie Gammon of Gammon Pools, David Cooke of David Cooke Plaster Company, and Ryan Schilli of Schilli Plastering Company join hosts Brent Lane, Chris Marcano and Rob Romano to discuss three recognized tried and proven methods for pool surface finishing.
- Episode #6 -Smooth Finish- 2021 Conference
- Listen in with the Smooth finish crew talks with Jeff Henderson, Director of NPC and Laura Eaton- administrative assistance at Cal Plastering and legacy member of the NPC auction family extraordinaire, about the 2021 virtual conference.
- Learn how the NPC is working hard to capture the essences of the live event and bring to you on the virtual platform.
- We hope you will join to hear more about the conference and better yet join us at the conference.
- Episode #5 - Getting to Know Kent Westfall NPC's new Director of Technical Services
- In November, NPC announced a new addition to the NPC staff. Listen in as the Smooth Finish cast talks with Kent Westfall the new Director of Technical services and learn about his many ventures in the pool industry and the qualifications he gained along the way.
- Kent Westfall, of Kent Westfall Pool Inspections, Bermuda Dunes, California, has 44 years of experience in the pool industry, developing his extensive career spanning 36 years of mastering every aspect of pool construction, pool plastering and remodeling. He has been licensed with the Contractors State License Board during that 36-year time. As an industry entrepreneur, Kent has run his plastering and remodeling business for 26 years and has been a licensed Pebble Tec applicator for 25 years. In addition, he has become Operations Manager for Purified Pool Water since 2016, doing reverse osmosis treatments for pools. Kent is a member of the California Pool and Spa Association (CPSA) and is a member of the National Plasterers Council (NPC), for which he conducts cementitious coating inspections and is a Certified NPC Start-Up Technician.
- Episode #4 - NPC Smooth Finish Education Series: Focus on Education Content Built on Technical Manual Foundation and Industry Outreach
- Join us for the next NPC "Smooth Finish" podcast episode introducing a new educational series inspired by Mr. NPC, Greg Garrett. Brent Lane, NPC Marketing Chair, along with co-hosts Rob Romano of David Cooke Plaster Company and Chris Marcano of Natural Chemistry, welcomes Jana Auringer of Pebble Technology International, a veteran of the pool industry for more than 30 years to discuss the recent announcement by the NPC that the Annual Conference will be moving to a virtual event, the progress on the NPC distance learning program through a Learning Management System, and the efforts of the Education Task Force. They will give listeners a preview of a new educational podcast series focusing on information from the technical manual, white papers, and research. Five core classes will be highlighted, including:
- • Start-up and maintenance
• Surface preparation
• Materials standards
• Plaster Placement, and
• Trouble shooting and repair.
- Speaker: Jana Auringer is currently Quality Control Technician at Pebble Technology International. She has promoted the industry through her affiliations with the National Plasters Council on the Board of Directors and several active committees, as well as the National Pool Industry Research Center, PHTA (in several capacities), and IPSSA.
- Episode #3 - Filling the Growing Trade Jobs Void: Recruiting and Retaining Talent in the Swimming Pool Trade
- In this episode, Brent Lane of Artistry in Mosaics, and Chair of the NPC Marketing Committee, leads our panelists in a discussion of how the swimming pool industry is recruiting the next wave of professionals to the trade. Jeremy Hausbrouk shares his experience as a business owner to promote the industry to students from primary school and up. Mary Anderson describes the Florida Swimming Pool Association's efforts partnering with their members to achieve a steady stream of professionals into the pool industry through an apprentice program.
Jeremy Hausbrouk is owner of Hasbrouck Pool and Spa Inc. in the Philadelphia area of Pennsylvania and active member of the Penn/Jersey chapter of the Northeast Spa and Pool Association (NESPA).
Mary Anderson is Education Program Manager for the Florida Swimming Pool Association, which serves as the coordinating organization for 16 local FSPA Chapters.
- Episode #2 - How COVID-19 Redefined the 'Staycation'
- “Staycation”, dare we say the used car salesmen term in the industry, turned into the personified need for isolated activity for families in their own backyard. Host Brent Lane of Artistry in Mosaics, and Chair of the NPC Marketing Committee, leads a discussion on how the 'Staycation' has impacted the pool industry.
- Listen as our panelists share their thoughts on how things have changed in the wake of the pandemic
- Panelists include Jeff Smith –Sales and Marketing Director of Alan Smith Pool Plastering, specializing in plastering and remodeling; NPC member and PSN Top 50 Builder and Sarah Bess- Marketing Director of Lyon Financial Underwriter, specializing in the financing of swimming pools across the US
- Episode #1 - COVID-19 – A discussion About the Pool Industry's Response
- This first NPC podcast features host Brent Lane of Artistry in Mosaics, and Chair of the NPC Marketing Committee, leading a panel of pool industry professionals in an informative conversation covering a variety of issues related to how the pool industry is responding to the coronavirus pandemic and the unique challenges faced by the industry. Conflicting information from the Federal, state and local governments and suggestions on how companies can stay informed is covered, as well as other topics. Panelists include Chris Marcano of Natural Chemistry, Rob Romano of David Cooke Plaster Company, Rudy Stankowitz of Aquatic Facility Training & Consultants, and Dominick Mondi, Executive Director of The Northeast Spa and Pool Association (NESPA).